So you’ve written an awesome post. It’s helpful to readers, it’s well-written, and dang it, it deserves to be seen! But wait! Before you hit publish, your blog post might be missing a crucial piece to bring you tons of traffic. Tons!
What is it that your blog post needs?
A Pinterest optimized image.
And see that right there? That was one!
Pinterest has become a traffic powerhouse. There’s no denying that. The proof is in the stats. Let’s look, shall we?
Statistics About Pinterest
42% of all online women now use Pinterest.
Of those 42%, some 17% of Pinterest users visit the site daily, including 9% who visit several times a day. Some 29% of users go on Pinterest weekly, while 52% say they visit the site less often (source).
In 2014, Pinterest saw increases in usership across a variety of demographic groups (source).
Only 20% of pins are original, the remaining 80% are repins.
Pinterest can drive more traffic than other social media sites. In terms of advertising and purchasing power, Pinterest has a 50% higher conversion rate than other social media (source).
Traffic to Blogs from Pinterest
Now I can’t speak for all bloggers, but on my personal blog, Pinterest accounts for more than half of my traffic. I had one pin “go viral” if you will, and brought a steady stream of about 1,000 page views to my blog every day. This was nearly a year ago and to this day, I still get several hundred page views from this one pin.
You can also take a look at other bloggers’ income reports (here is a list of bloggers who release their income reports), as they often include the stats about where their traffic came from. Pinch of Yum’s income reports come to mind, as they really demonstrate the power of Pinterest. In February 2015, they got half a million page views from Pinterest alone!
So I think I’ve made my point, it is in your best interest to be on Pinterest and to make it one of your most active social media platforms. And how do you effectively send traffic from Pinterest to your blog? Pinterest optimized images.
Most Popular Pins on Pinterest
To help determine where to start with creating your Pinterest optimized images, here is what a study by Curalate found. Curalate did an interesting analysis of images on Pinterest and determined some ideal characteristics of the most shared images. Among their insights, optimized photos have:
- Reddish-Orange Color
- Multiple Dominant Colors
- Medium lightness
- Aspect ratio between 2:3 and 4:5
- Less than 30 percent background
- Smooth texture
- No faces
For the full effect, I’d really suggest checking out this infographic by Curalate.
Create An Image for Pinterest
Don’t know where to start to create an image? Check out my post on why you don’t need to learn Photoshop, where I share several great (and easy to use!) alternatives to use to create pinable images.
The power of Pinterest is only increasing, and with Pinterest promoted pins now available, it’s easier than ever to get the ball rolling on Pinterest and bringing traffic to your site.
As always, please leave any questions in the comment section below.